Cheesy Chicken Croquette by Tati Carlin
200g chicken breast
600ml water to boil the chicken
Pinch of salt
1 med sized onion, finely diced
50g unsalted butter
50g plain flour
2tbs chopped parsley
1tsp Dijon mustard
50g grated cheedar cheese
1/3 tsp white pepper
2 tbs of milk
2tbs of plain flour
60g of Panko crumbs
Cobram light extra virgin olive oil to fry
- Cook the chicken in the boiling water with a pinch of salt until cooked. Once the chicken is cooked, chop it into small pieces.
- Heat up the milk in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Heat up a medium sized wok, melt the butter and add the onion, cook the onion until fragrant. Stir in the flour and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Pour the hot milk little by little and stir until thickened and smooth.
- Once the mixture is thickened and smooth, add the chicken, parsley, Dijon mustard and grated cheese. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste the mixture and add seasoning as necessary. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg with 2tbs of milk in a bowl. Place the flour and Panko crumbs on two different plates.
- Once the mixture cools down, start breading the croquettes: shape 1tbs portion (approx. 40g) of croquette batter in the shape of a cone and place them on a tray with sprayed baking paper, continue until finish.
- Dip the croquettes into flour then dip the croquettes into the egg wash and then roll them in the Panko crumbs.
- Chill the croquettes in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Before frying roll the croquettes into the breadcrumbs again.
- To cook the croquettes: Heat up the olive oil to approx. 180°C, fry them until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes. Drain well and place them on paper towels.
- You can serve it with chilly mayonnaise.