COVID-19 Update: We’re Open
To our Market community,
The safety of our customers and traders is our priority and we will keep you updated as we work through the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and what it means for the Market.
We know this is a tough time for all Australians. We’re feeling it too, but what’s really made this easier is the ongoing support from you, our customers. So, on behalf of our traders, we give you our heartfelt thanks for continuing to shop at the Market and supporting our many stallholders.
Government advice has confirmed there is no need to prevent the operation of essential services. Queen Victoria Market and other essential services remain OPEN for you to access fruit and vegetables, meat and fish, deli items, dairy, bread, eggs, takeaway and precooked meals, and other specialty foods.
Based on advice from the Victorian Government, speciality shopping traders located between C Shed and String Bean Alley are temporarily closed.
Don’t forget that for those that want to shop early, the Market is open from 6am on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. On Sundays, the Market is open from 9am. Please note that the Market will be closed on Good Friday (10 April) and Anzac Day (25 April). View our trading hours here. Shoppers can also enjoy FREE parking between 6am-9am or one hour FREE if you enter after 9am (on Market days).
WHEN SHOPPING AT THE MARKET
We ask all customers to keep the following in mind on your next shop:
Maintain social distancing
Health advice remains that avoiding physical contact and maintaining social distancing is our greatest tool to minimise the spread of COVID-19, so we ask customers to respect these guidelines and maintain a safe distance of two metres between yourself and other shoppers at all times.
Pack your own reusable bags
While we love looking out for the environment, it’s important to remember that bacteria can live on many surfaces, including reusable bags. We ask all customers to pack your own bags rather than hand your bag to traders.
Use contactless payments where possible and avoid using reusable coffee cups
Cash tends to be a carrier for a variety of germs and bacteria, so we encourage customers to make use of contactless card payments where possible. We also advise against using reusable coffee cups as these can also act as a carrier for a variety of germs and bacteria.
Practice good hygiene
Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water where possible or use one of the many hand sanitiser stations located throughout the Market. Please also make sure to cover your mouth and nose with your elbow when coughing or sneezing or use a tissue and discard immediately.
If you are experiencing cold or flu-like symptoms, please look after yourself and the wider community by resting at home.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
We are working closely with all relevant authorities to monitor COVID-19 and are taking any necessary precautions to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our customers, traders and staff. For the safety of all customers, traders and staff we and have implemented the following initiatives:
- Hand sanitiser units have been installed in many locations around the Market.
- In addition to our already extensive cleaning practices, additional cleaning staff are onsite to conduct regular cleaning and sanitising of high traffic surfaces such as door handles, handrails and bathrooms to minimise the spread of germs. Our cleaning processes include the use of antibacterial, antimicrobial cleaning products that reduces the risk of viruses and other possible harmful bacteria.
- Increased signage regarding hand washing and personal hygiene has been installed throughout all restrooms and in high traffic areas around the Market.
- We are working closely with our traders to ensure a high level of hygiene is maintained.
- New measures and signage are in place for social distancing including floor markings and staff closely monitoring this in the Market.
To ensure we do all we reasonably can to protect the health and safety of customers and to help minimise the spread of the virus, we have made the difficult decision in collaboration with our event partners to postpone or cancel the following events:
- Melbourne Food and Wine Festival: POSTPONED
- Sri Lankan Festival: POSTPONED
- Philippine Festival: POSTPONED
- Europa Night Market: CANCELLED
If you have made any bookings for the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival we encourage you to contact them directly at email@example.com.
Thank you for your continued support. For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.