Ceviche of Scallops, Octopus & Snapper
The perfect addition to your Christmas feast, learn how to prepare ceviche of scallops, octopus and snapper with chilli and lime.
6 fresh scallops
2 octopus tentacles
200gm skinless boneless snapper fillet
1 shallot, finely sliced
½ bunch coriander, washed and chopped coarsely
1 punnet coriander cress, snipped
1 lime, juiced
1 lemon, juiced
½ orange, juiced
- Wash the scallops in a bowl of cold salted water to make sure there is no sand on them. Remove the tough muscle of the side of the scallop with a small knife and then slice the scallops into 5 thin strips with the grain of the fibres. Refrigerate.
- Wash the octopus tentacles well under running water and peel the skin off them starting from the thickest part. Place them in a large wide saucepan of with 100ml of water and a big pinch of salt, cover with a lid and cook on a low heat for 45 minutes so they are firm but tender. Remove from the saucepan and chill in the fridge. Once cold slice the octopus diagonally across the grain.
- Slice the snapper fillet in half lengthwise and then slice across the fillet in 3mm slices. Place back in the fridge.
- Place the sliced scallops, octopus, snapper, shallots & coriander in a bowl and toss with the citrus juices. Let sit for 5 minutes for the juices to start to cure the seafood.
- Place in a bowl or on a platter and top with the coriander cress.
Image credit: Chris Middleton